One of the things that I have done in the last weeks has been to run the integration tests that I have for my MZ-Tools extension (now converted to a package) in Visual Studio 2015 Preview. I have hundreds of them and pass successfully in VS 2005 / 2008 / 2010 / 2012 and 2013 (with some sporadic timing-related failures that I try to reproduce and fix forever, but that’s another subject). When I ran them on VS 2015 Preview, dozens and dozens of them failed, to my desolation, because I immediately knew that there was something very wrong in VS 2015. One after another, I clasified them, identified patterns and all of them were related to the code model (EnvDTE.ProjectItem.FileCodeModel, EnvDTE.CodeElement, etc.) which my add-in uses intensively in several features. Eventually I isolated the root causes and I identified several bugs in the implementation of the automation code model in VS 2015, which soon I learned was changed internally to use the .NET compiler platform (“Roslyn”). I even discovered and disassembled the new assemblies that provide the implementation because one of the bugs is so severe that it crashes Visual Studio:
Although I can reproduce it 100%, I have not isolated it to the minimal package because I think that with the information provided to Microsoft should be enough. I am still awaiting the acknowledgement of the problem.
Other ones, that are far less severe, don’t crash Visual Studio but cause exceptions, and would need some fix:
And yet another ones don’t cause exceptions, but return an incorrect value when in VS 2013 returned the correct values:
This change in the implementation of the automation code model to use “Roslyn” is quite surprising to me. I reported lots of bugs in the automation code model in the last years until I got tired of getting the same answer: no fix would be provided because a new API was being developed. Later I learned that the new API was Roslyn but I didn’t expect the automation code model bugs to be fixed by leveraging Roslyn. AFAIK, Microsoft hasn’t provide any information about this change, but the truth is that bugs have been introduced. I have implemented workarounds in my code for some of them until Microsoft fixes them (in VS 2015 CTP5 they are not fixed). There are also a couple of them (very minor) that I haven’t reported yet. So, if your extension uses the automation code model, I encourage you to test that area carefully and report the bugs that you find.